Old Webpage

If you liked my old webbpage, you'll find it here: www.jansroeber.de old webpage

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Upgrading my MacBook Pro 15" (Early 2011) to a SSD

With the upgrade to Yosemite, my MacBook Pro became a bit lame, so I checked all of the opportunities that could speed up my Mac again.

After going thru all of the settings, reducing transparency, refresh rates of the sidebar etc., I was still not satisfied with the speed. The only way to bring back the old days again would be to migrate to an SSD and get rid of the old HDD.

Some research later, I decided to buy the Transcend JetDrive 420 1) package that comes with all accessories like screwdrivers, enclosure for the old drives second life etc.

Although it's a slick way to migrate the existing data to the SSD, using Apple's disk utility program, I decided to go via a SuperDuper! clone, since I already own the software since a couple of years.

I needed to mount the SSD into the enclosure, connect it to my Mac, then format the SSD to one partition in MacOS(journaled) and GUID settings and start the data transfer with SuperDuper! 4).

SuperDuper! is pretty simple to use and all you have to do is to make a 100% clone of the HDD to the SSD. The only thing you have to consider is that the Yosemite recovery partition is not copied by this method. Consequently this has to be done at a later stage.

Once the clone was ready(with my 300GB it took some 4h), I renamed the SSD to the same name the original drive had, shut down the mac, built SSD in the MacBook  2) and that was it.

After starting the remarkably faster Mac, which worked seamlessly, I had to switch on Trim Support for the SSD. I chose a software called TrimEnabler 3) which is free in the light version and two restarts later I was in business again.

No comments:

Post a Comment